Combining two summer favorites into one fabulous cocktail; this Cherry Mint Margarita is a winner!
I had the best intentions; I was determined that today would be a brand new cocktail. I’ve got the rum and the recipe and a fun one it is for Father’s Day…be on the lookout now for some Lime Sherbet! But I’m not there yet. Today was finish a walkway day and buy the lumber for my deck day and make a pound cake for a homemade strawberry shortcake day and best intentions went by the wayside day.
Luckily I’ve got almost 300 cocktails on this blog; many most of you have never seen…and if you have? Be honest, you probably forgot them anyhow! This one deserves another chance…don’t forget it this time OK?
Funny…but I was telling the same tale three years ago when I first published this drink…will this yard ever be done?
Originally Published July 2014
I usually try to make the cocktails I do for Friday Cocktails ahead of time. Ideally a week ahead of time but the last few months I’ve been swamped with new house stuff; both indoors and outdoors and I’m lagging behind. I feel lucky to get a cocktail done on Wednesday or Thursday for a post on Friday; luckily the attention to my yard has paid off even if I am so very late today! These Cherry Mint Margaritas? I just finished getting them made today at 12 noon. Uh oh. It’s a week of being tardy; yesterday was National Tequila Day and I missed that too. Hope this gem makes up for that faux pas; it’s a real winner.
Still I didn’t want to postpone posting this drink, I just knew it would be fabulous and it is. I was lucky to find some organic cherries yesterday from Colorado but I know the cherry season is waning. But wait…I have a tip that I was reminded of the other day when I looked at this cocktail which laughs at the short cherry season. Cherries nowhere to be found? Use some cherry preserves in lieu of fresh cherries and sugar; you won’t’ miss anything at all! An unexpected hint of mint brightens the entire drink and seriously the first one is almost gone. Glad I made two. 🙂
You know about mint right; how it will take over in your garden? I’ve always planted it in a 5 gallon paint bucket that I then put into the ground and that controls it’s spreading. This year with everything in pots I planted it with rosemary, thyme and chives. It’s got a reputation and it’s determined to keep it…it started as one little plant; look at how much it’s spread! But no matter; just glad to have it and I’m going to make sure I use it; this cocktail was the perfect choice! Cheers!
Cherry Mint Margaritas
- Lime wedge, sugar and salt (equal amounts combined) for rimming glass
- 1/4 cup fresh bing cherries, pitted
- Half a dozen mint leaves
- Sugar, to sprinkle
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar (or simple syrup)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4-6 Tbsp Tequila, silver or blanco (clear)
- 2 Tbsp cherry liqueur, or to taste
- Club soda, chilled
- Mint leaves and Cherries with stems, to garnish
- Using a cut lime wedge, rub the lime around the outer edge of two chilled glasses; dip the glasses in the combination of salt and sugar. Fill the glass with ice.
- Put the cherries and mint into a cocktail shaker, sprinkle with sugar and muddle with a muddler tool or a wooden spoon.
- Add the agave nectar, lime juice, tequila and cherry liqueur and fill the shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously for 10-12 times; strain over 2 glasses, top off with the chilled club soda and garnish with a mint sprig and cherry with stem.