Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/carrot-zucchini-quick-bread-toasted-walnuts/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Carrot Zucchini Quick Bread with Toasted Walnuts
For the Bread
- 1 cup walnut halves (4 ounces)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated zucchini (from about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated carrot
For the Glaze
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Nutmeg, freshly grated (optional)
To Make the Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Spread the walnut halves in a pie plate and toast them for about 8 minutes, until they are fragrant. Remove walnuts from the oven and coarsely chop them; allow to cool.
- Butter and flour a 9-by-4 1/2-inch metal loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar with the eggs, vegetable oil and yogurt. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients along with the grated carrots, zucchini and toasted walnuts and stir until the batter is evenly moistened.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the loaf cool on a rack for 30 minutes before removing from the pan. Let cool completely.
To Make the Glaze:
- Blend the softened cream cheese in a mixer until smooth; add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until combined. Add enough of the milk to get a thick yet pourable consistency.
- Pour the glaze over the bread and spread it over the top; letting some run down the sides. Grate fresh nutmeg on the top if desired.