Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/carrot-potato-red-pepper-soup/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Carrot and Red Pepper Soup
1 hr 15 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound carrots, cleaned and chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 Tbsp Olive Oil for coulis
- Sour cream for garnish (optional)
- Croutons for garnish (optional)
- Pour the olive oil into a large saucepan and add the chopped peppers and onion and saute until the onions are just turning brown. Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Remove 4 Tbsp of sauteed vegetables and put into a bowl to make the red pepper coulis for garnish.
- Put the chicken stock, carrots and potato into the saucepan; add the spices and simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Once the carrots and potato are cooked and soft, either use a stick blender or transfer in batches to a counter top blender and blend until smooth; returning to the pot when done.
- Add the half and half and simmer on low for 30 more minutes; do not boil.
To make the coulis:
- Blend the 4 Tbsp of sauteed peppers and onions with the 4 Tbsp of olive oil.
- Serve soup in bowls with a dollop of sour cream on top drizzled with the red pepper coulis.
The potato in this soup is not for flavor as much as for thickening the soup. It's better for you and easier than having to make a roux!