I don’t recall where I originally found this recipe but do remember that it called for raisins. I like raisins in oatmeal cookies and chicken curry…but not with these other ingredients; don’t recall anyone ever saying, ‘Where’s the raisins?’ either! Just made these for a picnic tomorrow and then going to see ‘Julie and Julia’ with my daughter and girlfriends. Truth though? Shouldn’t it have been called ‘Julia and Julie?’ Might not sound as cute but certainly think Julia deserved first billing!
Butterscotch Cookie Bars
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Place butterscotch chips and butter into a glass bowl. Heat in the microwave for about 1-2 minutes, stirring at 30 second intervals until smooth. Set aside to cool until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, beat the butterscotch chip mixture with eggs and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; stir into the batter until evenly mixed. Mix in the brown sugar, chocolate chips and walnuts. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, just until the bars begin to pull away from the sides of the pan. Cut into squares while warm.