Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/butternut-squash-potato-roasted-pepper-soup/
© 2015 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Butternut Squash, Potato and Roasted Pepper Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
- 4 Anaheim or Poblano Peppers
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 2 med onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, medium size
- 2 - 32 oz containers of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground adobo pepper or cayenne
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Sour cream, avocado and grilled onions to garnish
- Preheat the broiler. Place the peppers under the heated broiler and cook them until the skin has turned dark brown; about 5 minutes per side. Watch closely.
- Remove the pepper and place into a paper bag, close the bag until they feel warm to the touch; about 5 minutes.
- Remove them from the bag and peel off the skin, remove the stem and remove the seeds if desired.
- Chop into large chunks and set aside.
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a medium size skillet. Add the chopped onions and cook on medium heat until translucent and nicely browned, 15-20 minutes. Do not cook too fast.
- Add the minced garlic in the last minute of cooking the onions and watch carefully; it should get cooked to a slight brown but no more...it can easily become bitter.
- Put the squash, potatoes, peppers and half of the onions into a crockpot with the stock, cumin, Lodo Red Adobo, salt and pepper.
- Cook on high heat for 4 hours or overnight on the lowest heat.
- Use a stick blender or regular blender to blend all of the ingredients together; return the soup to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper and more of the Lodo Red Adobo if required.
- Add the rest of the grilled onions, holding out a couple of spoonfuls for garnish.
- Serve and garnish with sour cream, avocado, onion and sprinkle with the red pepper.
I liked having half of the onions added to the blended soup but if you prefer a totally creamy soup, add all but a bit for garnish to the crockpot when cooking the other ingredients.