Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/brown-butter-and-molasses-chocolate-chip-cookies/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Brown Butter and Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies
For the Brown Butter
For the Cookie Dough
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon dark molasses, not blackstrap
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or chunks for cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
To Make Brown Butter:
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat; stirring constantly. Watch carefully; the butter will foam and the solids under the foam will start to brown after 6-8 minutes,
- Remove from heat immediately when the butter begins to turn brown.
- Pour the butter into a shallow dish and chill until it's room temperature.
To Make the Cookie Dough:
- In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl, mix the granulated sugar and molasses until thoroughly combined.
- Once the butter has cooled to room temperature, add it to the mixing bowl with sugar and cream all together on medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add one egg and mix well. Add the yolk and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Spoon the flour mixture in gradually until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for about 20 minutes, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets. (To freeze, scoop dough onto baking sheets and freeze. Store in ziploc bags).
- NOTE: If topping with Maldon sea salt, sprinkle top with a few crystals now, before baking)
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until set; longer if using frozen dough (I add about 3 minutes to my baking time).
- Pay close attention! These cookies are already brown from the browned butter and molasses so visual appearance and scent is more important than color.
- Cool completely.
When I'm not doing hurricane swirls and toasted walnuts, I normally just sprinkle on a bit of sea salt but I didn't have any on hand this time and they were still amazing!