Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/broccoli-soup-with-white-cheddar-cheese-and-croutons/
© 2011 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Broccoli Soup with White Cheddar Cheese and Garlic Croutons
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups onions, sliced
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Generous pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 16-ounce fresh broccoli, steamed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded white Cheddar cheese (I used Tillamook)
- Croutons if desired (Recipe below); can also be served with crackers
- (Optional: I've also served with sauteed mushrooms spooned on top)
For the Croutons
- 2 slices bread - I just use sandwich bread; no special purchase required!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Salt to season
To Make the Soup:
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook, stirring, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the flour and let it cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock while whisking and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the wine, reduce the heat and let it simmer until it thickens, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked broccoli and let it simmer in the mixture gently for a two or three minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and using an immersion blender, blend all ingredients until soup is a creamy consistency. (You can also use a food processor but it will take multiple batches; do not overfill the blender).
- Warm the soup in the pot and add the shredded white cheddar cheese and stir until melted; I used the immersion blender again to thoroughly combine the soup and cheese.
- Serve warm with crackers or croutons and garnished with additional shredded White Cheddar Cheese.
To Make the Croutons:
- Melt the oil and butter in a skillet; add the bread and toss quickly so that all of the bread has some of the oil on it. Season with salt and garlic powder.
- Heat in the skillet until medium brown. Cool slightly before topping the soup.
I have to tell you...this was very good before I added the cheese so if you want to limit some calories make that optional.