If I really wanted to call this a name, it hit me as I titled it from ingredients that it’s really a Wendy’s baked potato in soup form. Although I haven’t had one of those in years so I’m just assuming you can still get loaded potatoes from Wendy’s?
I’ve been on a soup kick lately. Easy to throw together, great for lunch or dinner and if I double the ingredients, I can even freeze some. In all honestly, I’m not quite sure how this one would freeze because of the whole pieces of potato and broccoli so guess what I’ll be eating this week? A lot.
Broccoli, Potato, Cheese and Bacon Soup
- 3 cups chopped broccoli, steamed for 4 minutes
- 4-6 slices of bacon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until crisp, remove and drain, leaving bacon dripping in pan.
- Saute onion and celery in drippings over medium heat until tender.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute
- Add flour, pepper, and salt, stirring over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add broth, milk, and potatoes, stirring constantly until it boils and thickens.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in cheese and cooked broccoli and cook over low until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Sprinkle individual servings with bacon and additional cheese.