Brie in Pastry with Caramelized Onions
- 17 oz Wheel of Brie; chilled
- 1 Sheet frozen puff pastry - thawed
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 large Onion; sliced
- 1 tsp Dried thyme
- 2 Cloves garlic; minced
- 1/2 c Dry white wine
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Egg yolk
- Prepare caramelized onions: Melt butter in large skillet over medium
- high heat. Add onions, saute until just tender. Add thyme, reduce heat to
- medium and cook until onions are golden, stirring often. Add garlic and
- saute two minutes. Add 1/4 cup wine, stir until almost all liquid has
- evaporated. Sprinkle sugar over onions and saute until soft and brown. Add
- remaining wine and stir till liquid evaporates. Season to taste with salt
- and pepper.
- On lightly floured board, roll out pastry to 1/8" thickness. Transfer
- to a baking sheet.
- Halve Brie horizontally. Place one half of Brie, cut side up, in
- middle of pastry. Top with caramelized onions. Cover with other half of
- Brie, cut side down.
- Draw pastry up around brie, holding corners. Tuck edges in and twist
- corners together to form bundle.
- Beat egg yolk with 1 tsp water and brush on pastry, avoiding edges.
- Bake at 425o for 20 minutes or until golden and puffed. Let Brie stand
- in pan on rack for 20 minutes for runny cheese or 40 minutes for thicker