Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/boysenberry-buttercream-macarons/
© 2010 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Boysenberry Buttercream Macarons
For the Macaron Shells
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature (sit out for 3-4 days prior to making for best results)
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 oz. almond flour (I bought mine ground from Vitamin Cottage, but you can grind your own blanched almonds)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Food Coloring (optional)
For the Buttercream Filling
- Buttercream Filling - this makes a lot but I like having some leftover for graham crackers, so adjust as necessary
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb package of confectioner's sugar (approx 4 3/4 cups)
- Light cream as required up to 1/4 cup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup Boysenberry Preserves, melted, whisked smooth and cooled (substitute a preserve of your choice too)
To Make the Macarons:
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Sift powdered sugar, then whisk together with almond flour. Set aside.
- Whip egg whips till foamy then add the salt and sugar.
- Beat whites until glossy peaks form, do NOT beat to stiff peaks.
- Sprinkle half of the almond-sugar mixture over the eggs, and fold in quickly with as little strokes as possible.
- Add the vanilla and the rest of the almond-sugar mixture, and food coloring if using. Fold in until just combined. I use paste food colors so found it worked best to remove a small amount of the meringue, color it heavily and then fold it back in with the rest of the mixture.
- This should take less than 40 strokes. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a clean tip, and pipe ¾ to 1 ½ inch macarons, depending on desired size.
- Sprinkle with decorations if using; only decorate one half as the other half will be bottoms.
- Let piped macarons rest at room temperature for 30 minutes so that an outer shell forms on the meringue.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- After the batter has rested and the outside is firm to the touch, bake the macarons for 20-25 minutes, or until dry. Remove from oven, let cool on the parchment for five minutes, then remove and let cool completely before filling.
To Make the Filling and Assemble:
- Cream butter; gradually add about half of the sugar, blending well. Beat in 2 Tbsp of the cream and vanilla.
- Gradually blend in remaining sugar and melted preserves. Add more cream if necessary for desired consistency. Should be very firm.
- Pipe filling onto one meringue, top with decorated half.