Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/better-than-kahlua-coffee-liqueur/
© 2011 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Homemade Coffee Liqueur (Kahlua)
1 hr 15 mins
I think better even than Kahlua...your own coffee liqueur using espresso.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup dried espresso
- 3 cups vodka
- 2 vanilla beans, split
- 2 shots of chocolate liqueur (optional)
- Combine the water, both sugars and dried espresso in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil; turn the heat to low and simmer for a minimum of 1 hour.to reduce the mixture and make a more syrupy consistency.
- Watch constantly and stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Add vodka, vanilla beans and chocolate liqueur.
- Pour everything into a storage container.
- Age for 3-4 weeks in a cool, dark location; stirring once or twice a week. (Note...it's absolutely drinkable earlier; so if you have less time to age it than that; gift it and make a note on the gift tag to wait just a bit).
- When ready to bottle, remove vanilla beans, bottle mixture and store.
I cut up the vanilla beans and add them to some sugar...nothing at all wrong with Kahlua flavored sugar in your coffee!