Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/best-split-pea-soup-carrots-ham/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
8 hrs 20 mins
A quintessential winter soup using leftover ham and dry split peas.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4 stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 pkg of pre-sliced carrots or 4-6 carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pkg dry split peas (16 oz)
- 1 ham bone or 16-20 oz of cooked, sliced ham
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 - 32oz boxes of chicken stock or equivalent fresh or canned
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half
- Put olive oil and butter in large pot and warm on medium heat until butter has melted.
- Add carrots, onions and celery and cook until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Put peas, ham or ham bone, thyme, chicken stock and vegetables in a slow cooker.
- Cook on the lowest heat for 8 hours.
- Remove ham bone if used, cool and then remove meat and add meat back to pot.
- Add 1/2 cup of half and half; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To thicken, blend partially with a stick blender or remove approximately 3 cups and blend in a countertop blender; return blended soup to pot and heat if necessary before serving.
This makes a lot of soup; enough to both serve and then freeze half for later.