Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/best-homemade-enchilada-casserole/
© 2013 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
The Best Enchilida Casserole has Beef, Green Chiles and Corn!
1 hr 15 mins
A great easy way to serve enchiladas to a crowd.
For the Filling
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 6 oz green chile sauce
For the Sour Cream layer
- 12 oz sour cream (plus additional for serving if desired)
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
To prepare the casserole
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 16 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend or cheddar
- Salsa for Garnish
- Spray a 9X13" casserole dish with cooking spray or use a napkin or paper towel to wipe surface with softened butter.
- Saute beef, onion and garlic until beef is cooked and onion is translucent.
- Add chili powder, cumin, corn and green chile sauce.
- Simmer for 15 minutes on low heat; remove from heat.
To Make Sour Cream Layer:
- Mix all ingredients with a spoon; set aside.
To Prepare the Casserole:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush both sides of the corn tortillas with enchilada sauce. Fit half of the tortillas into your casserole dish. (I used 4 whole corn tortillas fit into each corner and halved one additional to overlap them in the center on the long side of the dish).
- Top with half of the meat, corn and green chile mixture.
- Using half of the sour cream mixture, dollop spoonfuls on top of the meat and then gently spread it to cover.
- Spread half of the enchilada sauce over the sour cream; then scatter half of the cheese over the sauce.
- Repeat all steps EXCEPT the cheese; hold half of it aside.
- Bake for 40 min.
- Remove from oven, top with cheese and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let sit for 8-10 minutes to firm up.
- Top with a dollop of salsa and serve.