Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/bananas-foster-ice-cream-rum-drizzle-toasted-pecans/
© 2014 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Bananas Foster Ice Cream with a Rum Drizzle and Toasted Pecans
For the Bananas Foster Mixture
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 bananas, sliced
- 1/4 cup dark rum
For the Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ? teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp of cooled syrup from Bananas Foster mixture
For the Rum Syrup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Dark Rum
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup toasted pecans
To Make the Bananas Foster Mixture:
- Combine the butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a flambé pan or skillet. Place the pan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add the bananas to the pan. When the banana sections soften and begin to brown, carefully add the rum. Continue to cook the sauce until the rum is hot, then tip the pan slightly to ignite the rum with a long match. Remove from heat.
To Make the Ice Cream:
- Whisk together the cream, milk, sugar, salt, vanilla and the 4 Tbsp of syrup from the Bananas Foster until the sugar dissolves.
- Cover and refrigerate from 4 to 24 hours.
- Pour the cream mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's directions.
- Prepare a loaf pan by lining with parchment paper to make the ice cream easy to remove.
- Layer the ice cream with the bananas foster mixture in 5 layers; starting and ending with ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm.
To Make the Rum Drizzle:
- Add all ingredients together in a small pan, bring to a boil and boil for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool before drizzling on ice cream.
Putting it all together:
- Scoop the ice cream into serving bowls.
- Drizzle a small amount of the rum syrup over the ice cream and top with toasted pecans.