Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/bananas-foster-cinnamon-rum-caramel-sauce/
© 2010 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Homemade Caramel Sauce with Cinnamon and Rum
A rich caramel sauce flavored with rum and cinnamon.
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup half and half (many recipes for caramel sauce call for heavy cream; I've had great success with half and half but if you want an even richer end result, by all means substitute an equal amount of heavy cream)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp rum (I used dark but either light or dark will work)
- Whisk cinnamon and rum into half and half and set aside.
- Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Once mixture starts to boil, turn heat to medium-low and stop whisking.
- Continue to boil until the mixture turns amber, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the stove and add butter; whisk in butter as it melts.
- When butter has melted, whisk in half and half mixture; it will bubble vigorously; just continue whisking til smooth.
- Cool; will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks (that theory has never been tested; it disappears too fast!).
I've made caramel sauce using two methods. One requires you heat sugar in a pan until it melts and turns a warm brown color and the other starts with sugar and water which has to cook a bit longer to cook off the water but it is a bit less risky...so we'll go that direction.