Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/baked-chicken-with-leeks-bacon-and-mustard/
© 2016 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Baked Chicken with Leeks, Bacon and Mustard
1 hr, 15
- 16 chicken thighs and legs, skin on
- Bacon Fat for frying
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 large leeks, sliced into rings
- 1/2 lb of Bacon
- 2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Make the seasoned flour by combining the flour with salt and pepper; mix well and put into a shallow dish.
- Fry the bacon in a large frying pan and drain it on paper towels reserving the bacon fat to brown the chicken (I had to do mine in three stages so added 2 Tbsp to the pan for each stage).
- Dredge each chicken piece well in the seasoned four, shake off the excess and brown the chicken in the bacon fat. Once browned, drain chicken pieces on paper towels and then lay them in a single layer in a large, shallow ovenproof dish.
To Make the Sauce:
- Cook the sliced leeks in the pan where you fried the chicken, scraping up any remaining bits of chicken skin as you saute them together.
- Once the leeks are softened, remove a couple of spoonfuls if you want to use some for garnish and then lower the heat and stir in the crumbled bacon, wholegrain mustard, cream and Sherry; stir to mix well.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken, cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 40 minutes; then remove the foil and bake uncovered for 10-15 more minutes until the chicken starts to brown nicely. Serve immediately on rice or mashed potatoes with a green salad or vegetable on the side.
To prevent spattering when frying chicken, simply cover your frying pan with a lid set slightly askew to allow steam to escape.