Posted by https://www.creative-culinary.com/apple-spice-bread/
© 2010 Creative Culinary. All rights reserved.
Apple, Walnut and Cream Cheese Bread
1 hr 10 mins
For the Bread
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 Cups of flour
- 2 tsp of baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 4 Cups apples, peeled, cored and chopped, I like big pieces about 1/2 by 1/4 inch or so.
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
For the Topping
- 3/4 Cup flour
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter two standard bread loaf pans.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Cut into good-sized chunks, about 1 inch in size.
- Cream the butter and cream cheese until thoroughly blended.
- Add the vanilla and sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time until thoroughly incorporated.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices with a whisk and add to the mixture a cup at a time and beat until just smooth. The resulting batter will be very thick.
- Fold in the chopped apples and walnuts and mix by hand so the apples do not get broken up. Divide the mixture between the two pans.
- To prepare the topping, combine flour, sugar and spices in processor or bowl. Pulse or cut the butter into the mixture with a fork until all ingredients are moist and crumbly. Sprinkle equal amounts of topping on each loaf.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes; test with a toothpick. Remove and place on a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before removing from the pans; this is a VERY moist dough and I've found it helps to make a day ahead and let cool thoroughly before handling.
I love having the apple pieces be a good size, it can make for a less than perfect slice when cutting the bread, but I think it's worth it to bite into nice size apple chunks!