Have you ever had the itch to create a cookie made just for serving as dessert with Port wine? Cookies and wine might not seem a natural match to many but they can be a delicious end to a meal if the right cookie is selected. Not too sweet, maybe with a hint of fruit and/or chocolate and the resulting pairing with a sweeter dessert wine like Fonseca’s Bin 27 can be an elegant end to your meal. That’s what I’ve done by combining a walnut shortbread cookie with just a hint of raspberry preserves that are then drizzled with a dark chocolate. None of the elements are overly sweet but the combined flavors are perfect for pairing with Port.
If you have, (or even if not!), now is the perfect time to get serious! KitchenAid and Food & Wine are sponsoring a contest with a very grand prize. Create the best cookie to pair with Fonseca Bin 27 Port for a chance to win two tickets to the 2014 Aspen Food & Wine Classic, a KitchenAid Freestanding Induction Range and a Pro Line Series 7-Qt Bowl Lift Stand Mixer. There is also a People’s Choice award: the entry who receives the most votes on the Facebook will receive a KitchenAid Pro Line Series 7-Qt Bowl Lift Stand Mixer.
Did I mention that the judges will be Jacques Torres and Dorie Greenspan? I don’t know Jacques but I just love Dorie; she’s oh so talented and oh so adorable and we’ve both been on Twitter for a couple of years and she is just as warm and friendly as she looks; meeting her would be a real treat. Just for this challenge, Dorie created a “round brownie” called a Broundie. She also hosted a Twitter chat with KitchenAid and Fonseca BIN 27 recently; if interested you can read through the feed of that event.
Are you ready to Rumble?
Cookie Rumble is running now until November 15th, so the timeline is relatively short. Get your entries submitted NOW!
You Want More?
Alright then! One of my readers will win this KitchenAid Seven Speed Mixer with a Whisk Attachment. By the way…we are a KitchenAid family. My mixer is now 28 years old and going strong; I am not kidding when I say I will sob the day it gives up; the memories that machine and I have are many. Every birthday cake, every cookie, everything…me and my old girl. My daughter has both the standard mixer for everyday baking (SO thankful; that machine has SAVED me while my stuff is in storage and my home is being finished) and the larger 7-Qt model since she makes a lot of bread. Why on earth would we need a hand mixer? Multi-tasking R Us! I’ve been using an old handheld mixer when it’s time for double duty; cake mix in the main bowl but I just need to whip up a 1/4 cup of whipping cream? I put the handheld into action. That very old handheld I might add. When I was asked to share this challenge with my readers, I was offered this KitchenAid Hand Mixer to play with and I just love it. Much stronger than my old one, sure, but what I LOVE the most? The whisk attachment. I’m a whiskaholic, I confess; having a small handheld mixer with a whisk attachment..nirvana for a multi-tasking KitchenAid fanatic! While I was mixing the shortbread cookies in a larger unit, the smaller handheld mixer was perfect for whisking the jam while I heated it (yes, I LOVE having a hand mixer for work at the stove!). Just leave a comment for a chance to win your own!
About Fonseca Bin 27 Port
My first inclination with these cookies was to use my favorite Bonne Maman’s Cherry Preserves for the glaze; but in the end went with the Raspberry Preserves; sort of matching the raspberry notes of the port. I just love chocolate and raspberry together and the results were great. I think either jam would produce the same wonderful result so don’t be limited by just one! I took these cookies to a friends house last night for Halloween with a bottle of the Fonseca port and they were loved by all; now that’s my kind of cookie!
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1½ cup seedless Raspberry Jam
- 1 Tbsp Port wine
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Resift the flour with the baking powder.
- Cream the butter with the sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually blend in the flour mixture.
- Stir in the walnuts.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Roll out onto floured board to ¼" thickness. Cut into any shape.
- Bake on un-greased cookie sheets at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned.
- If necessary, mix the jam in a food processor to incorporate any large pieces. Put into a small heavy saucepan and bring the jam to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stir constantly until the jam begins thicken slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, add the Port wine, stirring to mix thoroughly and cool slightly. Dip one side of each cookie into the jam and place on cookie trays to cool.
- Place the dark chocolate chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chips and butter are completely melted.
- Drizzle the cookies with chocolate.
- Chill (best if kept chilled until time to serve).
Enter to Win a KitchenAid Handheld Mixer (Retail Value $79.99)
How to Enter:
Required Entry: For a chance to win leave a comment here, whatever you’d like. For example tell me how you would use a hand mixer!
*The required entry must be completed otherwise any extra entries will not count.
Want More Chances?
- “Like” Creative Culinary on Facebook. *
- Follow @creativculinary on Twitter. *
- Tweet the following: Enter to #win a #KitchenAid Hand Mixer(ARV $50!) http://dld.bz/cTycY #giveaway #mixer
- Follow Creative Culinary
- Subscribe to Creative Culinary updates by email, or subscribe to my RSS feed.*
* If you already follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest and/or already subscribe to Creative Culinary, just leave a comment, this will count as an entry.
Giveaway starts on November 1, 2013 and will run until November 15, 2013 at 11:59 pm Mountain Time.
PLEASE REMEMBER: You must leave a separate comment for EACH of your entries or only one entry will be counted.
Open to US residents only.
To enter you must leave a comment.
One winner with a valid entry will be selected at random. I will email the winner and they will have up to 3 days to claim their prize or another winner will be selected.
One winner will be selected at random.org to receive a KitchenAid Hand Mixer.
The number of eligible entries received determines the odds of winning.
Sponsors are: KitchenAid and Food & Wine.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY, VOID WHERE PROHIBITED
Disclaimer: I was provided with a KitchenAid Hand Mixer and a bottle of Fonseca Bin No. 27 for the purposes of this review, all opinions are my own.