One thing I’ve learned after many years of preparing holiday dinners is that some of the dishes served need to be super easy. It took me awhile; there was a time when every single dish had to be something that was spectacular enough to require a fair amount of effort to get it to the table. No more. This weeks dish for The Food Network calls for carrots and I couldn’t wait to share what has become my favorite preparation for this root vegetable.
Maybe it’s because I actually love the star of our meal, this Maple Roasted Turkey with Bacon and Cornbread Dressing that I posted yesterday. I’ve come to realize that sides can indeed be simple and simple does not mean lacking. These Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme are simple to make but absolutely delicious and I love the boost of color they bring to the plate; turkey and stuffing are a bit dull and color on the plate changes everything!
Making them even easier are the fact that they can be cleaned and prepped into pieces the day before, require only minutes in the oven and once finished, can actually be served at room temperature. I say make them early and forget them. I love the color and fresh flavor they add to the plate and every single year I find myself wondering why I don’t make double the recipe since they disappear too quickly. The little girls up the street were here last night and I fixed them a plate for dinner; no one whined about having to finish their carrots…doesn’t that say everything?
Dressed with a vinaigrette that is slightly sweet but with a nice tang from the mustard, they are simply the perfect accompaniment to any meal, whether it’s your family chicken during the year or your spread on Thanksgiving. Mine are all gone…really, why don’t I make 5 pounds of these EVERY year?!!
Need more inspiration for using carrots?Check out these sweet and savory posts from friends!
- Feed Me Phoebe: Baked Moroccan Chicken with Carrots and Turmeric
- Homemade Delish: Thai Carrot Noodles
- In Jennie’s Kitchen: Dairy-Free Carrot Cupcakes
- The Wimpy Vegetarian: Light Carrot Flans
- Weelicious: Carrot Parsnip Latkes
- The Mom 100: Roasted Cauliflower and Carrots with Olive Drizzle
- Napa Farmhouse 1885: Chicken & Carrot Saute With Coconut-Basil Sauce
- Red or Green: Roasted Carrot, Shallot & Coconut Soup
- Healthy Eats: 6 Healthy Ways to Up Your Carrot Cake Game
- Taste with the Eyes: A Twist on Carrots and Quinoa
- Creative Culinary: Roasted Carrots with Honey, Rosemary and Thyme
- FN Dish: 5 Showstopping Carrot Cakes to Bake for Thanksgiving Dessert