Over the past several years I’ve slowly but surely segued away from anything close to a ‘standard’ salad. I can’t remember when I had one with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion. My personal trend toward different includes more fresh fruits and nuts in salads and there is pretty much one reason why. Tomatoes. There is a small window of opportunity in the summer when tomatoes are amazing and those grown outside that window, in hothouses, well they just don’t cut it if you ask me. So I give a lot of credit to my changing direction to enjoying the fruits and nuts more but when preparing a post for The Food Network’s #SensationalSides theme of ‘Greens’ this week I was reminded of this Mixed Greens Salad with Smoked Mozzarella that really was my first foray into an ingredient filled salad that has no tomatoes, no cucumbers and only strings of roasted red onion. I do believe I can say that this salad of Mixed Greens Salad with Smoked Mozzarella and a Warm Roasted Garlic Dressing is simply my favorite salad.
That being said, it’s not one of those that you just throw together at the last minute either. Both roasted red onion strings and croutons are made for the salad and baked alongside a head of garlic to be used for the dressing. So, yes, it’s a bit more timely but the combination of ingredients is sublime. While I could eat this by itself for a meal, it’s just perfect next to a steak and I think no other meal components are necessary. I would suggest you also do what I do and double the dressing…it’s so perfect that even on those nights when quick is all you have time for, the dressing alone is great on the old standard of simply lettuce, tomato, cucumber and onion!
With this weeks theme of Greens for #SensationalSides, I know you’ll find more than one reason to be motivated to make something new! Be sure to check out my friends offerings; with warm weather on the way, salad will be on the menu more often and I can’t wait to try these!
- Creative Culinary: Mixed Greens with Smoked Mozzarella and a Warm Roasted Garlic Dressing
- The Cultural Dish: Three Quick and Easy Salad Recipes
- Napa Farmhouse 1885: Salad Greens with Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette
- Red or Green: Salad Greens with Basic Balsamic Vinaigrette
- The Heritage Cook: Chopped Steakhouse-Style Salad (Gluten-Free)
- Weelicious: Southwestern Salad
- Taste with the Eyes: Teacher Appreciation Farmers Market Salad
- Swing Eats: Kale Salad with Lemon, Pecorino Romano, and Toasted Walnuts
- Virtually Homemade: Spinach and Bacon Salad
- Domesticate Me: 8 Gorgeous Green Salads for Spring
- Elephants and the Coconut Trees: Arugula and Grapefruit Salad
- Dishin & Dishes: Tangle Thai Rainbow Salad
- Homemade Delish: Grilled Pineapple Spinach Salad
- FN Dish: Why Side Salads Are the Best Salads