For very many years I only associated tequila with bad margaritas or single shots taken quickly and finished with a lick of salt off of my hand followed by sucking on a wedge of lime (oh yes I did!). About a decade ago I was schooled a bit about the value of aging and discovered the beauty of Reposado and Anejo tequilas. I began making my favorite margaritas and enjoyed good sipping tequila. It was a great lesson learned and those cocktails were good…but that was it, that was all tequila was good for, right?
Absolutely not! Last year I made a warm coffee cocktail that was spiked with tequila and Kahlau and it was so good. I think using tequila typically in conjunction with citrus has too often limited our imaginations when thinking about possibilities. Used in a cocktail like this one the effect is warming and rich and wonderful. You have to promise to try it so you can also enjoy how good it is!
I feel most fortunate to have developed relationships with some brands both new and previously unfamiliar that help to support this weekly effort by providing me with the adult beverages I need to do a cocktail each week. The best part might be trying something new and this tequila is a keeper. Peligroso Tequila is is a rare, 84 proof ultra premium Tequila from agave that is grown on an estate in Jalisco, Mexico. Their Silver tequila is just barely aged so not as smooth as a Reposado would be so I thought it would be perfect blended in this cocktail…a hot chocolate made from milk, Ibarra; a Mexican chocolate bar with cinnamon that is perfect for hot chocolate and the addition of Scharffenberger Natural Cocoa Powder that I thought would really up the chocolate factor; making it an even richer component.
We had some snow last night in Denver; fall here is as wacky as spring! 80 degrees one day; snow the next before all the leaves have turned and fallen! I’m going to try and survive…and this cocktail is going to help!
A wonderful and warming cocktail for fall and winter.
- 3 cups Milk (I used 1% and it was good)
- 1 and 1/2 bars Ibarra chocolate; broken into chunks
- 6 Tbsp Scharffenberger Cocoa Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cane Sugar
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper (start with 1/8 tsp and season to taste)
- 4 ozs Tequila
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Ground Cinnamon for Garnish
- Warm the milk in a medium size heavy saucepan on medium heat, watching carefully.
- Add the Ibarra chocolate, the cocoa powder and the sugar.
- Heat until the chocolate dissolves, whisking to combine all ingredients.
- Season with the cayenne pepper. Start with 1/8 teaspoon and season to your taste.
- Pour the warm milk into 2 large mugs and add 2 oz of tequila.
- Top with whipping cream; sprinkle whipping cream with cinnamon.
Warm and while I can’t exactly say nourishing…it sure feels good!!