Love being a kid again? How about the best of both worlds? Then try this Bourbon and Hot Fudge Milkshake…it’s divine!
When I first published this recipe several years ago I remember asking myself if this bourbon and hot fudge milkshake belongs in Friday Cocktails and I could not come up with definitive criteria that negated it; after all it does include bourbon right? So the answer was easy…Why yes, yes it does!
I hate that August seems relegated to fall and I’m sure it’s not just the cooler weather that does it. I remember as kids that we used to have three whole months off for summer vacation but now schools are starting before the middle of August and that just seems wrong. I know it’s not changing my August…it’s summer doggone it and we’re having ice cream and hot fudge and bourbon!
We are in the middle of Colorado’s monsoon season and it’s been a welcome relief. My grass that was just installed in June is happier than it’s been all summer and my flowers and herbs are going nuts. Still…ENOUGH ALREADY! It’s rained every single day for 2 weeks I think. Not all day long but usually a storm rolls across the sky in late afternoon. Sometimes they’ve been quick and are a nice refresher; others have overstayed their welcome and kept at it for a few hours. I want some more warm summer days when this cocktail will hit all major senses.
I love bourbon and this was a fun way to imbibe one of my favorites. It’s like a kid treat but only for adults! Made for a magical moment in my book.
The weather might have been a bit wetter and cooler than I would have liked but my testers uttered nary a word of dismay…they gulped them down with a fervor that could only reiterate my own thoughts, more akin to ‘Yes, Yes, YES.’
For the Hot Fudge Sauce, I made my favorite recipe but if that’s not your thing, don’t let that stop you and use a store bought product you love. It’s that combination of ice cream, vanilla, fudge and BOURBON that makes this so special. While I love a brand of maraschino cherries that are not died, something about a hot fudge ice cream treat calls for the bright red orbs, don’t you agree?
For the Whipping Cream
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Milkshake
- Hot Fudge Sauce (purchased or homemade)
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup milk (whole is best but I've used 2% too and no one ever said no)
- 1-2 ounces bourbon (to your preference)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
To Garnish the Milkshake
- Maraschino cherries
- Shaved chocolate curls
To Make the Whipped Cream:
- Whip together heavy cream, powdered sugar, bourbon and vanilla until soft peaks form. Keep in refrigerator until ready to assemble.
To Make the Milkshake:
- Pour a couple of Tbsp of the hot fudge sauce around inside edge of glass and set aside.
- Combine ice cream, milk, bourbon, and vanilla in a blender and blend until smooth and thick. Add a few ice cubes if necessary if mixture needs to be thicker. Add additional bourbon to taste.
- Fill glasses with the milkshake mixture and top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with shaved chocolate curls, add a cherry on the top and serve with a straw.