Bacon and Brussels Sprouts with Bowtie Pasta is a quick and hearty dish ready in just 30 minutes!
Brussels Sprouts. Is there any vegetable that evokes for you the same memories I have of this one from my childhood? Maybe even more especially one that has seen my opinion change so dramatically? For me this is it; hands down. Maybe there was no asparagus or canned pea love either but I could get through those.
Poor Brussels Sprouts got the majority of my childhood ire and by ire I mean literally crying over being told to eat at least one. Maybe if mom had put down that can and served this Bacon and Brussels Sprouts with Bowtie Pasta my childhood would have been filled with better memories?
Like many of us I have learned over the years what a difference the right preparation can mean. No more boiling to death the vegetables that require a lighter hand. Not only are the texture and taste magnificently different but even the color has more appeal. Forget Army green and imagine a bright, vivid green that has this exceptional little vegetable now at the top of my list for taste and presentation…doggone it, now it’s pretty!
I came upon this recipe when I was asked by Mary Younkin, who blogs at BarefeetintheKitchen.com, if I would consider taking a peek at her new cookbook. The title appealed to me as I just knew it would to many readers too, ‘The Weeknight Dinner Cookbook,’ a book devoted to getting a meal on the table for our families without spending so much time they’re ready for bed by the time supper is on the table.
Organized by three categories; all devoted to making meals fast and delicious. There are recipes for 5-10 minute prep time for dishes that need to cook on their own in the oven, another group that are 15-25 minutes meals and lastly dishes that take a bit longer but still only 30-45 minutes to get dinner on the table.
I’ve made a couple of dishes from the book and have loved each one but I seriously love the timing. I might cook all day and have nothing prepared for dinner so like you I appreciate a real dinner that I can get made and served in less than an hour. Winner winner chicken dinner? Why yes there is a chicken dish or two!
I’ve made two dishes so far and while I loved both, I decided to first share the Bacon and Brussels Sprouts with Bowtie Pasta. The sprouts are pan roasted and combined with bowtie pasta, bacon, cream and Parmesan cheese to create what was a perfect dinner for me. I’ve also prepared Mary’s Honey Chipotle Meatloaf and we loved it but no photos to share, oops! Sometimes the people say ‘Let’s EAT!’ and photos are simply not going to happen.
I will be making it again and I’ll probably share it too but if I were you I wouldn’t wait…go buy this book! Perfect for the beginner or more experienced cook…don’t we all need new ideas for dinner?
As for these Bacon and Brussels Sprouts with Bowtie Pasta? Make them if you hated them, make them if you love them now. Make them for Thanksgiving but seriously, just make them. Maybe don’t have company over like I did. I had to share and you won’t have to!
By the way, it is Food Network day too and our theme this week is all about Brussels Sprouts; be sure to check out the fantastic collection after the recipe. If you want something really unique try this dish for
Want/Need more? Here you go!
- Healthy Eats: 5 Healthier Ways to Spruce Up Brussels Sprouts
- Creative Culinary: Bowtie Pasta with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts (You’re Here!)
- The Fed Up Foodie: Beef and Brussels Sprouts Stew
- Hey Grill Hey: Brown Sugar Bacon Brussels Sprout Bites
- A Mind “Full” Mom: Brussels Sprouts Caesar Salad
- Taste with the Eyes: Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Italian Sausage, Balsamic Syrup
- The Mediterranean Dish: Fall Rotini Pasta Salad with Brussels Sprouts and Butternut Squash
- The Mom 100: Roasted Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts and Leeks with Spicy Drizzle
- Pinch My Salt: Steamed Brussels Sprouts with Dilly Dip
- Devour: Every Day We’re Brusselin’: 4 Craveable Brussels Sprout Salads
- Swing Eats: Braised Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots and Sherry Over Loose Polenta
- In Jennie’s Kitchen: Pan Seared Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, Pear & Walnut Salad
- FN Dish: 7 Recipes That Will Make Literally Anyone a Brussels Sprout Believer