I’m surprised I haven’t included the Cosmopolitan cocktail in a Friday Cocktails post before today; I’ve always loved them. Their combination of sweet and tart fits a flavor profile I love in a cold drink. Pretty doesn’t hurt either! This year I’m making these for viewing the Emmy Awards on Sunday night. I enjoy the awards shows…even if I often do my own version of ‘delay’ otherwise known as TIVO. If the event starts at 6pm I’ll host a party starting at 6 with food and cocktails and then we’ll start watching at 7ish. Buzzing through commercials might be the expected reason but when it comes to awards shows as soon as I hear the words, ‘I would like to thank yada, yada and yada…I’m gone. Zip…onto next award. Thank your Mother and get on with it people!
I’ve also been waiting for an opportunity to use these glasses that my daughter gave me for Christmas and thought this would be a perfect time. Dressier than usual which the Emmy Awards require but even more than that? I thought they needed a cocktail with a vivid color…better to see the design with my dear! Don’t they look ever so stylish? I just know that if People Magazine were to view them on a red carpet, they would surely win the ‘Best Dressed Cosmopolitan Cocktail’ Award. I know you’ll agree and thanks again Em; I just love these glasses!
I was gifted a bottle of Beluga Vodka that I used for this cocktail. It is distilled from grain in Western Siberian distillery founded in 1900, filtered through quartz sand and silver, and cut with water from a Siberian spring. The company says it is distinguished “by using a preciously calibrated distillation ritual, which gives its vodka a pure enrichment of high quality taste.” It is a straight vodka, but does include a few additives, apparently in small proportions, including honey, oat extract, and Silybum marianum extract (you know it as the milk thistle).
This vodka is fairly simple which isn’t bad; vodka is supposed to be “neutral” but it’s best for tastes that lean toward the sweeter which was perfect for this cocktail. I liked the vodka a lot but have to comment on the bottle…that beluga whale is a three dimensional piece of metal…very cool if you ask me and makes for a memorable first impression. Two shot glasses with the same whale sealed the deal; I’ll have to craft something that would work in them…is there a cocktail with caviar I wonder?
If you’re an avid Emmy viewer like I am, check out the drinking game below that I’ve included from the folks at The Savory along with some more fun cocktails they’ve devised. I’m not encouraging irresponsible drinking but I am encouraging fun…and a designated driver! Cheers!!!
- 1 oz Orange Liqueur (Cointreau, Grand Marnier for example)
- ¾ oz lime juice
- 1 oz cranberry juice
- 1½ oz vodka
- Orange twist for garnish
- Pour all of the ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice cubes and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled martini glass.
- Garnish with an orange twist.
You remember drinking games right. Let’s all pretend we’re in college!! Still, this one is sort of fun or at least the stipulations are funny, so if you’ve got a mind too; I’ve included everything for you here…and many thanks to the folks at TheSavory.com!
What it is: Below are ten rules that should be posted throughout the viewing area of your party. The game begins as the award show commences and ends as the final credits roll. Use the downloadable print-out below for your own gathering.
What you need: Plenty of beer and alcohol, at least three friends (but the number of players is limitless), and the number for a cab service.
The Savory realizes that we aren’t all professional drinkers, so you can play this game with beer, a cocktail, or with shots for the veterans. See some additional recipes for cocktails they’ve devised below!
BASICALLY YOU DRINK WHEN:
- Neil Patrick Harris Sings or Dances: NPH. He’s a hero to most anyone who has eyes. He’s funny, charming, good looking and the man can sing! So if we’re lucky, he will grace us with a few musical numbers during the show.
- Anyone Makes A Meth Reference: The entire country is talking “Breaking Bad.” Water coolers and social media have become war zones of spoiler alerts. We can only assume that Sunday night will be the same way.
- Peter Dinklage Looks Bored: Master thespian Peter Dinklage will be a staple at the awards as long as his character survives on HBO’s Game of Thrones, but last year he always seemed to be looking bored out of his gourd. Maybe it’s because he knows he’ll be enduring the same night for years to come. See below for the Tyrion Lannister Shot recipe.
- There’s a Jon Hamm “Wang Outline” Sighting: Mr. “Mad Men” is known for his lack of wearing anything supportive beneath his pantaloons. If Jon’s ham makes its way to your boob tube, EVERYONE MUST FINISH THEIR DRINK.
- Anyone Makes a Downton Abbey Jab: Oh BBC, how you bless us with carefully crafted, well-written and incredibly acted programming. So as Americans, we are bound to make fun of it.
- SNL Cast Member Past/Present: Looking at the list of nominees, you may notice one thing: Lorne Michaels had a big part in launching their careers. The list of “Saturday Night Live” cast members in the nominees group is astounding. ONE DRINK FOR PRESENT MEMBERS, TWO DRINKS FOR ALUMNI.
- Anyone References Lena Dunham’s Boobs: We love “Girls.” We truly do. But let’s be honest, we have seen Lena’s naked chest-buddies a bit much. We assume she will keep her top on for the awards show, but you never know. IF SHE’S SPOTTED TOPLESS, EVERYONE MUST FINISH THEIR DRINKS.
- Ty Burell is On Your TV: ”Modern Family” may be the best comedy on television in the past 15 years. It is groundbreaking and has a dream cast that truly pulls the show together. But, man, we cannot love Ty Burrell enough. He is just perfect. See below recipe for a Ty Burrell Shot.
- Anytime a Cast Member of “Arrested Development” or Louis CK is On Camera: Two of our favorite things of 2013 were the return of “Arrested Development” and the Louis CK: Oh My God HBO Special. “We’ve made a huge mistake…”
- Anytime You See Anthony Bourdain: Anthony Bourdain is nominated! Let us repeat that. Anthony Bourdain is nominated! Nothing is more Savory than Mr. Bourdain. He drinks, he smokes, he curses and he cooks amazing food. Prove your love with a drink.